span.fullpost {display:inline;} span.intropost {display:none;} /************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** ************************************************************************* body {margin-top: 32px !important} */



9/16 NHDP Canvass

We kicked off the general election season this past weekend by canvassing Wards 5 and 9 in Nashua.

I always have felt confident in my ability to navigate political issues, but my one drawback to entering politics was that I didn't see myself as having the courage or charisma to strike up conversation with total strangers and inspire them to entrust me with their votes.

Well maybe I wasn't as polished on my first time out, but I had an incredible day on Saturday.

I don't think I even hit 20 houses I spent so much time talking to some fascinating people while making my way through Westgate village, right around the corner from where I live. I realized I was taking a huge step forward over the course of that day, because it was one of the first times I really made connections with voters I'd never met, many of whom coming from remarkably different political viewpoints than myself. The most amazing thing was that even though we may have disagreed on some policies, the general attitude towards me as a young candidate was overwhelmingly receptive. I'm finally starting to understand the truth behind Tip O'Neill's book, that all politics really is local.

Even though lugging around shopping bags full of literature in 80 degree weather made the time go by slowly, I felt like I didn't even begin to get started. I'm so energized now that I'm ready to go door-to-door all across my district every weekend between now and election day. Though I may not meet everyone - chances are I won't meet all 15,000 of the registered voters here - I'm really sold on putting quality over quantity.



- by Andy Edwards | 9/19/2006 | Comments (0)


0 Responses to “9/16 NHDP Canvass”

Post a Comment